This position is responsible for keeping buildings and equipment in good working order. This person maintains, troubleshoots, inspects, and repairs equipment and building systems/components.
Athea Laboratories is a manufacturer of wet wipes and chemicals used in industrial, institutional, and retail market places. Established in 1965, Athea is a family owned business that continues to see exceptional growth and opportunity in the markets we serve.
- Responsible for the installation, repair, and improvement of all production equipment and ancillary
- Responsible for the repair and upkeep on the physical structure of the building
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, maintenance shop with ample supply of required spare
- Perform preventative maintenance on all production and ancillary
- Maintain and improve all guarding and safety devices intended to protect our personnel and companies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Individuals must be able to repair, maintain, and install machines, tools, and equipment. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Ability to read blueprints, electrical schematics, and mechanical drawings
- Ability to work in a team-centered atmosphere
- Ability to follow all operational and personnel policies and procedures
- Experience in the paper converting, printing, chemical blending, or liquid filling industries is desired
- Ability to troubleshoot, repair or replace all forms of Mechanical and Electrical components, switches and devices
- Hands-on individual who works well with a minimum of supervision
- The ability to arc weld is a plus
- Understand safe work practices
- Use basic hand tools like wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, hammers, etc
- Use basic measuring tools such as: Tape measures, digital calipers, combination squares, dial indicators, levels, etc.
- Use various power tools such as: Saws, drills and drill presses, grinders, etc.
- Use basic test instruments like: Digital multi-meters, thermometers
- Use shop math
- Troubleshoot basic electrical systems such as Sensors, switches, D.C. and A.C. motors and drives, heaters, thermocouples, fuses, circuit breakers, and wiring. Low-voltage control systems, (12V, 24V) and High-Voltage power systems, (120VAC single-phase up to 480VAC single-phase and three-phase)
- Basic plumbing skills such as Pipe fitting of threaded pipe, sweating copper, PVC joining
- Identify and properly use various fasteners such as bolts, screws, snap rings, rivets, clamps, clips, studs, anchors, threaded rod, washers, nuts, etc.
- Identify and convert between S.A.E. and Metric measurements
- Operate forklifts and aerial work platforms (AWP)
- Understand various types of gaskets, o rings, and other seals
Additional desirable skills include, but are not limited to
- Basic machining, (Lathe, Mill/Drill)
- Basic layout and design
- Basic metal fabrication
- Schematic reading for electrical and pneumatic system
The ideal candidate will have strong critical thinking skills, creative thinking skills, and logical thinking skills, along with good written and verbal communication skills. Additionally, this individual must be able to interact with all levels of co-workers and management in a professional manner and be willing to learn new skills and adapt to new situations as they arise. We are looking for someone willing to ask questions if they don’t know how to do something and share ideas and methods.
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of 2 years’ experience required in installation, maintenance, and the repair of machines and equipment. An Associate’s degree in machine maintenance and repair or equivalent experience is desired. Previous experience in lean manufacturing techniques such as SS, and TPM or Root cause analysis is a plus.
An individual must be able to meet the physical demands of the job including climbing ladders, bending, stooping, and standing for long periods of time. In addition, individuals must be able to reach above shoulders and lift a minimum of 50 pounds.